- Bangkok Layover
- Hong Kong Layover (Novotel Nathan Road & Bo Innovation)
- HKG - ICN on Asiana Business Class with visits to Krisflyer and CNAC Lounges
- Seoul Layover (Grand Ambassador Hotel)
- ICN-FRA on Asiana First Class
- Frankfurt Layover(Ibis Frankfurt Centrum)
- FRA - ALA on Lufthansa First Class
- Destination Almaty - Impressions
- Destination Almaty - The Attractions
- Destination Almaty - The Food
- Destination Almaty - The Hotels
- Destination Almaty - The Surprise
- ALA - FRA on Lufthansa First Class
- 2nd Frankfurt Layover
- FRA - BKK on Thai First Class with Lufthansa First Class Lounge visit
- BKK - HKG on Thai First Class
- 2nd Hong Kong Layover with review of Novotel Citygate Hotel
We took the KAL limousine bus service from the airport to the Grand Ambassador Hotel (associated with Pullman) where we would be staying for the night. The bus service was really convenient with a counter manned by a English speaking attendant that was really helpful in guiding us on which bus to get and where to wait for it. The seats on the bus were comfortable and reminded me of first class seats on flights in the US.
The journey to the hotel took about 1.5 hours. When we got to the hotel, the hotel seemed rather busy but there was no line for check-in. This being a Accor Hotel and Pullman, I was expecting an upgrade due to my Aclub Gold Status but none was offered. There was also no mention of the welcome drink of gift. When we got to our rooms, we realized that we were given a smoking room and made the trek back down to reception for a change in rooms. We were told it was really full and they could only get us a twin bed room 30 minutes later. At this point, we were really tired from the travel and just wanted a shower and to get dinner so we stuck to the same room. Thumbs down to this hotel - wasn't too happy!
What I liked about the hotel however was the facilities. There was a well equipped gym and pool that I used early the next day before checking out. There were also several restaurants that looked pretty good but we didn't try any of them. The hotel also provides hourly shuttle service to the various tourist sites like the markets.
I don't think we would be coming back to this hotel in the future due to the bad check-in experience and the less than ideal location. We might try the Ibis in Myeong-dong the future just due to it's better location or the Hilton for better elite recognition.
After a quick shower, we took the hotel shuttle to the Dong-dae-mun area which was a 10 minute drive away. The Dong-dae-mun area consists of shops, restaurants and stalls that stay open through out the night. I was shocked by the number of people still out at 1 am doing shopping! Good place for a jet-lagged traveler.