Sunday, November 17, 2013

4th July Getaway: Taipei to Austin


____________________________________________________________________________________

It did take us a while to locate Eva's lounges since it was our first time flying through Taipei. Eva operates a number a number of business class lounges in Taipei and we opted for the Infinity Lounge despite Ben's somewhat negative comments' on this recent visit. I guess it is a matter of personal preference but we actually liked the retro/cool look of the lounge.


First up on priorities was a how shower before a transpacific flight. The shower was stocked with pretty good amenities and more importantly a toilet (which some showers like the Krisflyer lounge does not have). I managed to squeeze in a couple of espressos paired with delicious Movenpick ice-cream after the shower to make sure I stayed a wake for the next couple of hours into the flight. It was already midnight by now mind you. There was also an extensive selection of local snacks.

Boarding was already underway when we got to the departure gate and thankfully there was no line in the priority lane to board the plane. Once we got settled in, the flight attendants come around with pre-departure drinks. I obviously went with the champagne knowing it was Dom. I guess it's business class when the attendants don't come around with the bottle and pour the champagne in front of you.







Once we got airborne supper was served. We had again pre-booked our selection via Eva's website and thankfully the food was much better on this flight. I had the Din Tai Fung Dumplings and it was really good. Lydia also enjoyed her chicken and rice dish.





We changed to pajamas we had brought on our own after supper and tried to sleep while watching a movie. It did take a while for me which I blame to the espresso in the lounge but once I was out, I managed to get a good 6-7 hours of shut eye. I must say that this is now my favorite business class seat to sleep on. It's even better than Singapore Airlines long haul business class seat.

About two hours prior to landing, the lights came on and the cabin was prepared for breakfast. The flight attendants went around with a refreshing hot towel, water and juices. We both stuck to the Asian selection for breakfast with the congee for me and the chicken noodle soup for Lydia. The choice was definitely a good one and I'd have that over eggs and bacon anyday.


 We overall enjoyed the flight and would have no hesitate to take Eva in the future. I was surprised that we parked at a remote gate and had to be bussed in. First time it's happened to me at LAX. We thankfully missed most of the crowd at immigration and was able to get through customs and immigration in about thirty minutes.



We had another four hour wait in Los Angeles before our flight home to Austin via Houston. I was disappointed to find out at the departure gate that originally scheduled 787 to Houston had been swapped for a 777. I guess I should be thankful it didn't get swapped for a 737 and we still had a lie flat bed for the red-eye to Houston. After a couple of donuts in Houston and a short hop to Austin, we were finally back home.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the fine report.. it prompted me to book EVA business class for 2 segments of our return trip hkt/san in oct.

    It will be interesting to compare it to the first and business service on Asians on the san/hkt trip

    ReplyDelete